[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: STARTING OUT

Hi Eden,

Welcome to the world of coiling in the UK!

As you're just starting out there is very little advice I can give on
specific coil item etc..  The first things you need to think about are as
follows:-

1)    How much space do you have to run a coil in?  They are loud and
anti-social, requiring either a remote location, an enclosed area (e.g. a
garage) or really easy-going neighbours.

2)  How much money are you prepared to spend?

3)    Research.  Check out the web sites on the Tesla Web Ring
(http://www.webring-dot-org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=TeslaRing&list)  to get an
overall idea of what you want to build.

You have to decide on some basic parameters.  Size your coil to your
available space.  It's too easy to make a large coil but have nowhere to run
it, that's one of our current problems!

Money will also limit the size of a coil and so will the availability of the
power supply transformer.  Power levels up to a few kilowatts can be readily
achieved with off the shelf items and will give output spark lengths of 3 to
8 feet.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any more questions.

Steve Bell (Swindon, UK)
steve-at-breakfix.demon.co.uk
http://www.breakfix.demon.co.uk