[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid State article on website

Hi Terry, all,
                    I have a number of comments to make on the paper
referred to. I conducted expts using a bank of MOSFETS in place of
the gap a few years ago using a 30V DC supply and wound up
producing 1/2" sparks under some conditions.

On 23 May 00, at 18:30, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> 	WOW!!!!  This paper is a pure treasure!!!  Very highly recomended to all!!
>  The paper at:
>
> http://www.stellarproducts-dot-com/synch.htm
>
> Also has significance to us doing other Tesla coil secondary behaviour
> stuff (the "Malcolm's Ruler" model) we haven't told you all about yet ;-)))
>
> I do not know this Dr. Bruns but he seems like a very interesting person
> who is very knowledgeable in these areas I like so much!  :-))
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Terry

Points I would like to note:

(1) He says that Cself was inferred from measuring the frequency
but I didn't see the formula he used. Presumably it was the classic
lumped resonance formula. Anyone see it there? It would appear
that he was measuring Medhurst's value for Cself.
(2) He connected a comparatively huge lump of C across his
secondary to bring Fr down. Anyone see something wrong with
doing that (if this is supposed to be indicative of a normal TC
configuration)? Maybe not.
(3) There was an indication in one of the oscillographs that his gap
quench was less than perfect on at least some occasions. It showed
up as a residual beat in the primary waveform and a matching dip in
the secondary ringdown envelope.

I'd be interested to hear other's comments on the paper.

Regards,
Malcolm