[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's gotta lotta Gauss

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "John Williams" <jwilliams-at-edm-dot-net>
>
> I once calculated the peak current in the primary of a coil
> that ran off a 15 kv 60 ma neon sign transformer with a
> 0.01 mfd cap at around 350 khz...
>
> I forget what it was off hand, exactly but it was seriously
> high.  So I don't doubt that the flux field would be fairly
> serious too.
>
> >Original Poster: ANTarchimedes-at-aol-dot-com
> >

> >Has anyone tried measuring the magnetic feilds of their coil using a
> >Gaussmeter?  I'll bet that a fair current is created... despite the lack of
> >an iron core.

1. The peak current for this example is aboutg 330 amp, assuming that
the gap fires at 15 kV, rather than the peak it could reach.  The
current can be calculated by computing the capacitive reactance of the
capacitor (2 * pi * f * C), where units are Hz and farads.  For this
example it is about 45.5 ohms.  The capacitor voltage is divided by this
value to get the peak current. The expression for the magnetic field at
the center of a circular coil is:

	H = (.247 * N * I)/R gauss

where N = number of turns
      I = current in amps
      R = RADIUS of coil in inches

for this example I calculate only 272 gauss if the coil (primary) has 10
turns and a diameter of 6 inches.  This seems lower than I expected, so
I may have slipped a decimal point but don't think so.

2. The gauss meters with which I am familiar measure steady (DC) fields
and hence wouldn't register anything.

Ed