[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: flashover

Hi Andrew,

This sounds to me like you started out with a coupling problem and things have
snowballed on you. The helix was probably the wrong direction to go with this
problem as it will just increase coupling. At this point in the game, I would
recommend inspecting the secondary thoroughly! Check for carbon tracks on the
secondary, ohm it out, etc... If everything looks fine and nothing has been
damaged from the troubles, then I would fit the flat primary back into place
and go backwards on the secondary (install it a good distance above the primary
and you should get no sparks - then lower it 1/2 way down, try again - if
nothing 1/2 way down - keep using this method until you get sparks - if you get
sparks with racing arcs, then 1/2 way up between the prior position, etc..
etc..). This method is a little backwards but I think is the method to use at
this point. If you still can't get sparks, there is something very wrong with
the secondary. I would post back to the list again at that point and let us
know your construction details and hookup method.

Good luck,
Bart