[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ballasting

Hello Coilers:

While experimenting with ballasting for my "radar transformer" TC power
supply, I hit upon a setup which allows a variety of current limits.
Instead of the usual inductor, I'm using a Hammond isolation transformer
that has dual 120 volt windings on both the primary and the secondary.
It's rated at 1.5 KVA, but should easily handle twice that for the short
run times we see in TC application.

By connecting the four windings in different configurations of series
and parallel, observing phasing of course, I'm able to get different
levels of current limiting.  I may try rigging up a switch to make
the changes faster, but for now I'm just using jumpers between the
screw terminals.  Treat seried and paralleled inductors the same as
you would resistors when calculating the overall inductance.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca