[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Better bottle caps

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2000 6:28 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Better bottle caps

Original Poster: "Dan and Nancy" <ntesla-at-logicsouth-dot-com>

At 06:57 PM 5/27/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Richard Barton" <richardbarton-at-caving5.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>well, yes, they would work, but I would imagine that you wouldn't get a
very
>good capacitance cos think of the
>area of the stuff that is NOT in contact with the glass. Surely you would
>get lots of "hot spots".
>					Richard.

Dudez,
You can get very fine aluminum powder at a paint store, and I think other
powdered metals also. It's a little messy to work with, but I've used it to
fill glass electrodes in plasma globes and it works great. There's no
reason I can think of to not use it in a bottle cap. One thing though, the
powder is so fine that if it's in the air floating around it can be
flammable. I believe I'd still put oil or epoxy or something on the top of
the powder in the bottles to keep the air away.
Also, I saw plans a long time ago for van de graaf terminals that used
varnish mixed with a great deal of aluminum powder. Almost like aluminum
glue, I'd guess. You could mix a lot of that powder with some varnish or
polyurethane and coat the insides and outsides of your bottles with it and
let it dry. That would probably work better than filling the bottles with
just the powder.
Hope this helps,
Dan Kline
ntesla-at-logicsouth-dot-com

Hi Dan
	If you mix aluminium powder with something inflammable like
varnish...... isn't that getting towards rocket booster fuel ?
							Richard.