[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

THOR PROJECT STATUS

Hi all.

I have completed moving the switching power supply from the small rack to the
bigger 9U high one. I also added two more modules to get to 20 kV DC. Now the
thing looks like the drawing I have on my web site.

I tested the beast last friday at about 12 kV with my old TC.

First my acrylic filter cap (on the TC) burned into flames: no problem, I just
disconnected it and went on testing. I had several 20 seconds runs
achieving the
usual streamers from my old TC. I don't know about the bang rate or streamer
length because I didn't have a scope connected and the main purpose was to test
the power supply, not the TC.

So everything worked fine!

The rectifiers I was so worried about (original 250 ns trr, replaced with 500
ns) performed fine and didn't get hot.

Now the THOR TC secondary has been bolted on a PVC base with 4 wheels: the base
measured 1 x 1 meter and its "legs" are PVC cylinders 3.2" o.d. (not pipes, I
mean massive PVC).

In a few days I'll complete the primary and manage to have the toroid fixed to
the secondary.

Regards