[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Formula for true self capacity of a coil.

Hi John, All,

Let's not loose sight of the "actual" measurements!

1.	394.5 kHz
2.	269 kHz
3.	212.7 kHz

I ran these through E-Tesla5 and got:

1.	412.5
2.	286.1
3.	201.8

and Cmed got:

1.	401.43
2.	298
3.	230.41

and Jones/Cox got:

1.	397.07
2.	296.678
3.	208.78

and John C. got:

1.	403.6
2.	299.58
3.	231.38

"We" all came out high on the second one compared to the actual...  Dare I
suggest that the second actual could be a little wrong! =:O

It would be a scarry day when we trust the calculations over the actual
measurements but...  In my own testing I kept getting high numbers in one
test.  I went back and check the "actual" dimensions and... oops!  The darn
computer WAS right! ;-))

It "slightly" seems that Jones/Cox is getting the best answers...  Of
course, slap dual toroids on these coils, and I'll vote for E-Tesla5 ;-)))

Hey!  Does anyone remember the "good ol' days" when we had no clue what a
given secondary system frequency would turn out as ;-))

Cheers,

	Terry

BTW - Great work Gavin in finding that true C formula!!

At 03:35 PM 5/29/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Gavin -
>
>You may be interested in how your calcs compare with the JHCTES Ver 3.1
>program.
>
>Coil    Parameter     Gavin         JHCTES
>
># 1       L           17.87         17.87
>          Cmed         8.8           8.9
>          fr kHz     401.43         403.6
>
># 2       L            29.3          28.82
>          Cmed          9.9           9.79
>          fr kHz      298.00        299.58
>
># 3       L            42.25         42.67
>          Cmed         11.19         11.09
>          fr kHz      230.41        231.38
>
>Very good agreement considering different equations were used.
>
>John H. Couture

snip....