[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Rolled Caps

By the time you buy the plastic, foil, pvc pipe, oil, pvc glue, bolts, caps,
etc. for the rolled caps, you'll wind up paying as much as you would for an MMC
except it will likely fail after a short while.  Keep in mind that you need to
vacuum pump the rolled caps too, and you'll have to buy fittings for that and
probably rent the machine to pump it down good.  I went that way and it was a
real waste of money.

The best bang for your buck is to make saltwater caps out of glass bottles.
They build fast, cost nearly nothing, and seldom break.  I thought making a
rolled cap would be cheaper than an MMC too, and tried to go that route at
first.  After I added the cost of the tools I needed and the raw materials,
plus the trouble it is to construct the things, I found out that I had made a
poor investment.  Rolled poly caps were certainly better than beer bottle caps
when you needed larger capacitance, but now MMCs have truly taken their
place.

So again, I would just make saltwater caps if you want to save money.  Do that,
and save your money for the MMC.  You won't regret it!