[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla frequency

Hi Robert, all,

> Original Poster: "Robert Jones" <alwynj48-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Although its a common design goal, there is no theoretical requirement that
> the primary and secondary have the same frequency.  However the greater the
> difference the greater the coupling must be for a particular output
> envelope.  This is exemplified by the 1 2 3 frequency ratios suggest as one
> possible magnify configuration which requires  high coupling.
>
> ie small changes in primary frequency have the same effect as a small change
> in coupling on the output envelope. I believe that this has been verified by
> Malcolm Watts and possibly others.

I can certainly verify the equivalence between a change in k vs a
change in Fp but I have under no circumstances (sub-uS controlled
electronic "gaps" included) been able to verify that you make a coil
work with the primary and secondary operating at widely disparate
frequencies at the normal k's we use. I am trying to get some
verification that this can be done from a very experienced coiler but
am not holding my breath. The secondary behaves much like a
narrow band filter within close bounds of its resonant frequency and
strongly rejects signals that aren't very close to or at that frequency
(harmonics, overtones excluded). Quite apart from substantial
evidence I have seen in scoped experiments with the MOSFET gap,
a real gap lights up brightly in a mis-tuned coil or one without optimal
secondary loading.

Regards,
Malcolm