Re: Polish the Gap

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Wednesday, November 1, 2000 1:34 am
Subject: Re: Polish the Gap

> Original poster: "Albert Hassick" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

<snips>

Dear Al,

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation of the static gap.  I
really like the idea of using cable lugs to mount the electrode
material. -A great basis from which to try all manner of different
electrodes, as you clearly have done.  Your comments about tungsten
carbide also agree with Marc Metlica's observations, that this is indeed
a good SG electrode material.  Since I have so many of these little
silver "buttons" from contactors, (I am now reasonably certain that they
are solid silver), I will give them a go in a small series gap for my
little 15/60 setup, replacing the carriage-bolt arrangement I currently
use.  In the next incarnation of my 5kVA beast, I'll give tunsgsten
carbide a try.

And since we're talking SG electrode materials, I guess I should also
take a peek inside my old electrosurgical cutting machine (yet another
interesting Tesla coil application) to see what sort of gap material was
used by the manufacturer.  Of course, power levels in that thing are
pretty low, but I think the spark-gaps would have been fairly robustly
designed.  (I wouldn't expect any doctors to be opening it up in the
surgery to clean the gaps!)

Cheers,

John.