RE: Polish the Gap

John -
A word of caution,  in my experience switch contacts are not made from pure
silver unless they are to be used in a low current application. Pure silver
has to low of a melting point and would cause contact welds in a high
current switch application. Generally something is added to the silver such
as cad oxide.
Cadmuim is considered toxic and I would be concerned about its release if it
was used in a spark gap.

You could try scraping or cutting the contacts - pure silver is very soft
and can be cut or scraped easily but when mixed with cad oxide becomes much
harder.

Michael Doyle - Senior Lab Technician
Cherry Electrical Products
11200 88th Ave, P.O. Box 581913
Pleasant Prairie, WI  53158-0913
Phone: (414) 942-6627
Fax: (414) 942-6334
EMAIL: mdoyle-at-cherrycorp-dot-com <mdoyle-at-cherrycorp-dot-com>
http://www.cherrycorp-dot-com/ <http://www.cherrycorp-dot-com/>