Re: RE: Polish the Gap

Dear Mike,

Thanks for the tip about cadmium oxide.  That is certainly something to
be avoided.

FWIW the silver contacts are soft and cut easily.  I guess a melting
point experiment is the only way to be sure though.  (Unfortunately for
me, 962 degrees Celsius is going to be a bit hard to obtain and measure
accurately!  -But this is a university, I'll see what I can do...)

I checked out the surgical cutter last night... the spark-gaps look like
tungsten carbide.  I have no idea of how much use that thing has seen,
but the gaps appear clean; there is only a very light dusting of whitish
oxide powder on them.

John S.