Re: Problems with "true" RMS Readings

A good test of "true" rms meters is a resistive load driven by an SCR/Triac
dimmer.  As you vary the phase angle, the peak/rms/average ratios all
change. A scope can give you the conduction angle, from which one can
compute the expected numbers.

 And, if you've got a good lightmeter, you can actually do a thermal RMS
measurement by comparing against DC.  This IS, of course, the most accurate
way to measure power and is used for wideband RF, microwave, etc, in a
so-called Type IV Power Meter.  It can literally work "DC to light", with
proper calibration and compensation for reflected power.