Re: First THOR measurement results

Hi Marco,

Those are excellent results you are getting.

Reply to Question 1: (About gap quenching)

I DO NOT think that poor quenching in the spark gap would limit the peak
voltage so that the toroid does not break out.  The peak secondary voltage
coincides with the first opportunity for the spark gap to quench (first
primary notch).  No further voltage rise occurs regardless of whether the
gap quenches here or at a later time.

It is more likely that the abscence of breakout from the toroid is causing
the poor quenching in the rotary.  If there is no load on the secondary,
the energy will be tranferred back and forth between pri and sec keeping
the gap lit,  until it is dissipated.  I would bet that adding the
breakout point would improve gap quenching.  This is my opinion anyway.

Reply to Question 2:  (Re: RSG overheating)

I have never experienced a decrease in performance due to rotary
overheating.  Alan Sharp ran his big coil at a considerably higher power
level than yours,  and there was no noticeable drop in spark performance
as the electrodes heated.  You could (carefully) check for arc trailing in
the rotary.  Also check the tank capacitor for heating.

Great work.  I look forward to seeing the details on your web page.

						Cheers,

						-Richie,