Re: Tungsten

Actually it (Thorium 232) is a Alpha emitter (decay, but does emit a small
amount of low energy Gamma), it has a low Specific Activity: 1.5e-3 Ci/g,
or 1.6e7 disintegrations per second/gram. I found that any pancake type GM
probe will detect the activity, about 40 to 80 Counts per minute above
background (assuming 10% efficiency, 2pi geo, <60 cpm background) from a
couple rods at <0.5 inch. In the short: someone making a couple or three
RSG will not expose them selves to a long-term harmful amount of Ionizing
radiation, BUT, anyone doing this on a ongoing basis (manufacturing and
selling RSG) should take very stringent exposure precautions, not only from
the radioactive constituents, but also from the metal dusts.

Regards,

David Trimmell
www.ChaoticUniverse-dot-com