Re: New Rotary

Hi Adam,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Adam Parker" <tesla_park-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> To all of you who like to experiment:
>
> I am building a rotary gap that allows break rate and
> quench time to be adjusted independently of each other
> (usually, break rate and quench time change
> simultaneously as the motor speed is adjusted). Being
> able to observe the effects of each variable on a
> Tesla coil may open up new venues for research.
>
> The gap would use oblong shaped stationary electrodes
> that could be rotated in place exposing more or less
> spark length to the flying electrodes for firing. This
> should effectively alter dwell time without changing
> motor speed. This particular gap will be asynchronous,
> and I may use DC to get cleaner o-scope readings.

snip>

I think you will find that the method of rotating oblong electrodes will change
the conduction point (only slightly) as to where the gap will fire along the AC
waveform. However, the quench time will probably not be effected as the arc
stops conducting when the energy has dropped below the capability of continuing
the arc. This is typically reported before the electrodes move out of
alignment. My gut tells me primary to secondary transfer (coupling) will more
likely affect the quench time than will any type of electrode alignment scheme.
But, it's always fun to do these type of experiments.

Bart