Re: MMC cap questions

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>
>         Hi all,
>
> My NST farm is dwindling, and I'm looking at pig-power.  I feel confident in
> my knowlege to move up to the multiple kva niche and start experimenting.
> Though I want to choke the system down to only ~2 kva to start with, then
> move again as I learn more.  8" coils are much more expensive to wind than
> 2" coils ;)  Mostly, I want a more robust power supply, but having more
> power is always welcome.  Something externally ballasted will give me the
> ability to run 2kva or 20kva.
>
>         Now, I currently have an 80nf tank cap (16 strings of 11) MMC.
If the
> panasonic caps go nuclear at ~3A RMS, I think I can push 32A rms without too
> much trouble.  Think this will stand up to a pig's abuse?  Voltage-wise, I
> know it's under-rated, but I can always use a small step-down tranny on the
> 240v side to lower the pig's output to 12kv.  Only have to reduce the line
> voltage to 200v (maybe a heater element in series to burn off some voltage).
>
>   What concerns me is the RMS current.  The caps take over-volotage in
> stride, but over-current is murder on 'em. And I'd hate to burn up $230
> worth of caps by not knowing...

              Sundog

Hi Sundog...

dont know alot about MMC's but i will offer some ideas about the piggie stuff

since you are running NST's already ( 15KV or so)  no need to reduce the
volt output of the piggie
( since its pushing 14400 V anyway)  use the piggie at a reduced current
input , in other words
use a decient inductor to reduce current flow. if you get enuf inductors in
series it will allow a
minimal flow of current to the pig. what im working on now is a 5kva
transformer that i plan to
run in series with the pig but use hot water heater cores on the secondary
side of this thing to
allow multiple levels of current draw. by switching on or off the heater
cores in different
configurations i will be able to draw from 5 A to 50A which will feed the
piggie.

Scot D