Re: B00ya! NSTs?

Hi Michael,

i was just wondering what you use for a primary, and if you have enough
turns to properly tune the coil ? (im guessing thats why you had to ditch
the toroid)

here are the specs for a similar system i use:

input:      12kv 30ma NST
Primary:    30 turn primary wound with 12 gua stranded wire (taps at about
24 turns)
spark gap:  RQ gap with 9 electrodes
secondary:  6" wide 24" long secondary wound with 28gua
topload:    4" x 20" toroid
capacitor:  .01 uf 36kv MMC (12  .1uf 3kv caps in seris)

max spark length to date is 24"

overall the main limiting factor is the small NST

the design for this coil was highly influenced by a coil John Freau posted
on the list awhile ago, main difference is that he had a sync rotary gap. he
also got 42" sparks