Re: Dangerous Method For NST Unpotting

Hi Jason,

At 02:38 PM 11/12/2000 -0800, you wrote:
snip...

>     Ready for another piece of bad news? Apparently my state has passed new
> regulations regarding Neon signage. When trannies are replaced or upgraded
> they need to be replaced with a new "smart" trannie. These new trannies have
> a built in GFI, if it senses a "unacceptable current condition" it shuts off
> the juice. That is really lame because we all use our NST's for every bit of
> current we can drag out of them.

Although there are ways to defeat the new transformer protection stuff, it
really may not be necessary.  With a little thought, it may not only be
possible to run these new transformers in Tesla coils, but to also take
advantage of the safety features.  I visited a number of NST sites today and it
looks like the new trannies are pretty nice and the GFI stuff is well thought
out.  The only big problem is that the new transformers cost a bunch more.
However, the quality seems to be increasing too.  ACtown now vacuum impregnates
the secondaries and does other fancy stuff to make them even tougher.  If these
NSTs can run an iced up sign on a cold winter night, they can probably deal
with a Tesla coil too.  It will probably take awhile for the GFI thing to get
figured out to where it really works well so there is a change a bunch of GFI
units will show up in the trash real fast ;-))

So not bad news, just a new interesting challenge! ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry