Re: AC Split phase motor????

In a message dated 11/11/00 8:44:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 >  As reason would seem to dictate this, this does not necessarily seem
 >  to be the case from my personal experience. I did almost exactly the
 >  same thing that Scot did a few months back with my large "Medusa"
 >  system, and my motor's case was indeed grounded to the RF ground.
 >  The motor still went deader than a hammer and I had to replace it.
 >
 >  Keeping 'em Sparkin' in Memphis,
 >  David Rieben

 David,

 Was your's the case where the spark went though the vent hole
 in the motor and hit the windings?  I know that happened to someone,
 but I figure that's a rare case.

 John Freau

I would like to question the idea of connecting the rotary gap motor housing
to the main RF ground.  I know that the main RF ground on my 6.0" coil, run
at about 7kva, is several hundred or thousand volts above ground.  You can
draw healthy sparks off the ground rods when the coil is running.  I would
think this would cause a large voltage differential between the 120 volt
motor windings and the motor case - possibly inviting breakdown under normal
operation.  I would appreciate other folks comments on this.  I have always
let the motor case on mine float.  Possibly connecting it to the main 60 hz
ground (using a separate set of ground rods) would be better?

Ed Sonderman