Re: controlling motors with dimmers

A firm I used to work for builds fans that use PSC (split capacitor) motors
and they control quite nicely with off the shelf $5 Lutron ceiling fan
controllers.  Lutron is probably the market leader in inexpensive Triac
dimmers.   Here are the caveats:  You have to start it fast and slow down
(enforced in the dimmer by having the OFF position next to full on). The
motor gets kind of noisy at low speeds due to the waveform distortion, and
the torque gets pretty low, which isn't a problem for things where air drag
is dominant (i.e. fans and RSGs) because the HP requirement drops off
pretty fast as the speed drops.