Power

I'm running a 240 volt, 40 amp dedicated line out to my "High voltage
Laboratory" (garage really). Will 6 guage copper handle this amount of power? I
imagine it would but I don't know for sure. Would I be better off running two
lengths of 10/2 and parrelleling the conductors in each (one line for each hot,
and a dedicated ground/nuetral system at the garage)? Also I noticed that all
the power comes into our house through a 5KVA pole pig, and two 16/3 cables
with the conductors parrelleled. I will be using twice that amount of power in
the garage alone! How can that be up to code!? Should the question be "Will the
point where I tie into the grid handle that power?" instead of "Will MY wiring
handle it?"