Re: Science fair help...

You can use your multimeter to measure RF voltages with fair accuracy by using
an RF probe (or make one using a germanium diode, a resistor and a capacitor-
instructions can be found online depending on whether the meter is analog or
digital.)  Using a grounded high-Q resonant circuit very near your coil, you
can light 120-volt incandescent lamps in the resonator's base lead, provided
your Tesla coil is powerful enough to begin with.  These will measure power
visually and do a decent job of presenting a resistive load up through the HF
radio spectrum.  Nice RF wattmeters are probably going to be way outside your
budget range.

I once used a grounded (through the wall socket ground) resonator and some
germanium diodes and capacitors to get DC power from a remote tube tesla coil.
I found I was able to power small loads, such as a digital clock or LED or
little motor, all around our house.  At the time I was impressed with this
capability, but chances are it resulted from the high-frequency characteristics
of the home power ground system.  Depending on where you try experiments like
this, I think you will find that your results will vary widely!

Good luck!

-Carl
-at-
Sent by: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
11/17/2000 06:34 AM MST