Re: Rotor SG

Josh,

Similar to a welding arc, the main spark gap generates significant
amounts of short and long-wave ultraviolet (UV) radiation. This tends to
degrade most plastics, causing broken bonds and crosslinking. Plastics
that are intended for outdoor use contain additives which help them
better resist the effects of UV. UV damage can usually be seen as a
yellowing of the plastic, embrittlement, and cracking. This is very
often seen when PVC pipe is used to house static spark gaps, and can
ultimately result in a dark brown surface layer and significant
reduction in mechanical strength. Similar results can be seen with
Polypropylene and Polyethylene, resulting in significant reduction of
flexibility and embrittlement. Greg Leyh observed similar effects on the
Glass Epoxy structural members and insulator supports in the huge rotary
spark gap used in his 130 KVA system, Electrum:
http://www.lod-dot-org/electrum.html

Polycarbonate (Lexan) also undergoes yellowing under UV radiation, but
in this case the UV reactions appear to be more cosmetic than
structural.  Lexan is an ideal material for rotary containment, since it
will continue to provide operator protection from rotary failures even
if it may yellow a bit from the spark gap's UV flux.

Good luck in your studies!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman