Re: Racing sparks study, was A couple cruddy coil pics

HI Sundog,

Thanks for sharing your racing sparks observations to coupling and tuning. I
have found when out of tune and trying to put in some power, there is a
potential where the racing sparks would travel down the secondary the entire
length "starting" at the top and traveling to the bottom. (Sometimes it would
breakout about 2/3 of the way down and arc outward to the strike ring or
vicinity).

You mentioned that when "overcoupled", racing sparks travel "up" starting at
the bottom. I'm curious if these two spark traveling directions will give a
quick determination to the problem for coilers when they get racing sparks.

Racing Sparks overcoupled = bottom to top direction?
Racing Sparks out-of-tune = top to bottom direction?

Is this true for other coils out there or just coincidence?

Bart