Re: Tube for VTTC

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Trimmell" <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>
>
> Hello,
>
> Yes the 304TL and 304TH (low and high mu, respectfully) make good VTTC's, I
> was able to get 16" sparks from a coil using one. Note that the plates do
> run hot, you can't push them like a 833. Actually, you can also run the
> filaments in either 10 volt or 5 volt (depends on how you wire them).
>
> Regards,
>
> David Trimmell
> www.ChaoticUniverse-dot-com

	In my experience, at least the Eimac 304TL can be run with the plate at
least a bright orange.  The tubes were intended to be radiation cooled
and were well enough pumped to run for quite a while with plates at a
temperature approaching their melting temperature, although that of
course was never intended. 833A's, on the other hand, tend to go gassy
when run much cooler.

	This experience was a long time ago, and applied to use as drivers for
shakers for environmental testing.  Can't think of any reason the same
wouldn't apply to TC use, which is at a very much lower frequency than
that at which either tube was designed to operate.

Ed