Re: Giant tube

Jason, All,

The brush discharge would be large and loud!  I had a brand new pair of the air
cooled version of this big tube but decided that a diesel generator would be
the only practical way to power them as the wimpy 200 amp single phase service
I get from hydro would barely heat the filaments.  I  sold them 5 years ago.
Yup, great tube to *spark* big dreams alright!

I've built a more modest TC driver (my Coronatron) based on 3, BR1160 EEV 5 kW
each dissipation triodes in parallel which I've not yet fully exercised, partly
for want of an adequate plate supply.  There's more to a big tube TC than the
big tube!

Robert W. Stephens
Director
AREA31 Research Facility