Re: Further MMC woes.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Well, after trying to replace the blown caps with all the spares I had I
have a
> worthless $84 MMC.

Snipperzzz........

Hi Garry...

tesla coiling has a huge learning curve and a healthy appetite for money...
altho
there are many out there that have made some really nice coils for a mere
pittance,
most of us part with our hard earned cash to produce a viable coil. as far
as the
capacitors go ... i have spent a fortune on making them, buying the wrong
types,
and finally purchasing some Maxwell caps. ( i have 2 working coils at the
moment
and between the both of them i suppose i have spent about 800$ + on
commercial caps
and materials for home made caps)

I started coiling a bit before the advent of the MMC so I used the ( at
that time)
present technology and made rolled caps. I found that when they blow up
they were
hard to repair. So i took the next step in home made caps and went to the plate
style. these were a bit better but still had problems, but were alot easier to
repair.

I progressed further into the hobby and eventually bought some commercial
caps and
have been lucky so far.

hang in there, study the past errors of others and consider an 84$
"investment" in
caps a minimal cost

if i had bowed out of the hobby even after being disgusted with poorly
preforming
caps that i had built and spent a fortune on I would have never gotten to the
present point at which I am now. My present coil is a monster ( 12" X 55" ) and
creates 10' streamers. Even tho I have spent way too much money on this
hobby, just
seeing those streamers ripping thru the air is justifiable means for the costs.

Scot D