From: Tesla list
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 10:01
Subject: Re: water spark gaps

Original poster: "Jochen Kronjaeger" <Kronjaeg-at-Stud-Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE>

> Has anyone ever experimented with water spark gaps?  If so, did you run
> into any big problems?

<snip>
I experienced another strange problem when drawing an arc between a copper
electrode and a water surface. Sometimes, there was something like a small
explosion, not really violent, but quite a shock. This might be due to
electrolysis (hydrogen+oxygen production), but I somewhat doubt this as
there was no reason for hydrogen to accumulate. Anyway, let this be a
warning that unexpected and possibly dangerous effects might occur with
under water gaps.

  Jochen

  Jochen Kronjaeger                     Kronjaeg-at-stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de

  The High Voltage Page  http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~kronjaeg/hv/
    info, plans, photos of home-built HV-sources, sparks, HV-experiments