Re: oudin vs. tesla coils

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Chris and all,

Oudin was a Frenchman who also did HV RF research in Tesla's time. Some
(such as most US scientists) regard his work as being "cloned" from
Tesla's. In reality, it was more likely that Tesla and Oudin were
contemporary, and mostly independent, researchers of RF/resonant
transformers. Certainly the French believe this! :^)

Anyway, the main difference between a Tesla and an Oudin coil is that
the Tesla Coil uses a separate primary and secondary winding and is a
true double-tuned transformer using INDEPENDENT LC circuits. In the
Tesla configuration, the base of the secondary is normally directly
connected to ground. One end of the primary may ALSO be connected to
ground (indeed, some pig coilers run with the innermost portion of the
primary and base of the secondary tied to the same RF ground to reduce
the potential difference between the primary and the secondary
windings). The fact that both the primary and secondary may be tied
together and the common point connected to ground does NOT mean that
this is an Oudin configuration.

An Oudin coil normally connects ONLY the bottom of the primary to RF
ground. The top of the primary is then connected to the base of the
secondary winding. The base of the secondary is actually connected to
the "hot" end of the primary(!), and the coil operates sort of like a
dual tuned autotransformer, with the secondary resonant circuit sharing
some of the primary circuitry as well. But, this mode of operation is
significantly more dangerous than a Tesla Coil using a common ground
point (above), and is definitely NOT recommended for any high-powered
coils. Oudin DID obtain a patent for this configuration. Tesla also
experimented with it, and this work may have been a step along the way
towards his later magnifier research...

-- Bert --