Re: my email

Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

Hi Simon,

	Thanks for reminding me!  I get like 50 mails a day and sometimes they get
all blurry...

At 02:24 PM 5/1/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>Hiya Terry..
>
>Just wondering if you got my email..
>
>If not, I've attached it to the bottom..
>
>Thnaks again for your help :)
>
>Hi Terry.
>Yes, it is a going to be a static gap, [.·. 17nfd caps]

If you have a sync rotary you can get to 24nF, but with a static gap about
15-17nF is right.

>I still claim ignorance [less and less gradually though :)] when it comes
>to caps, but I have narrowed it do to
>http://www.arcotronics-dot-com/htm/prod/ec_polyp.htm ... but I'm not exactly
>sure what type? Any recommendations?

The R73 series.  1500-2000Vdc and around 650VAC.  Values around 0.056uF.
Always metal-film, self-healing, high-voltage, high-current, AC types with
high Dv/Dt.  And ALWAYS polypropylene.  Try to get the largest case size if
there is a choice.

>BTW, I'm not actually sure how many caps I should have per string, or how
>many strings i should have.. I just threw some values in to try and get
>some feedback.

You want the voltages of each cap to add together to get to the maximum
voltage of you transformer.  that is 22,000 volts in your case.  So 11 of
the 2000 volt types.  You can easily push that number since the caps are
significantly over designed.  I use 10 1600 volt caps with a 15kV
transformer but that is as far as one should push the voltage ratings.  You
will want at least 4 strings of caps.

>One last thing, I assume you mean the 17nfd is a per cap value? [Or maybe
>not, I don't pretend to know :)]

Let's suppose you used 13 0.047uF caps per string.  The value of each cap
gets divide by 13 to give a string capacitance of 0.047 / 13 = 0.00336uF
per string.  13 x 1600 = 20800 volts which is close enough.  Four strings
gives a total capacitance of 4 x 0.00336 = 0.01446uF which is pretty good.
So I would use four strings of 13 caps each to give a 20800 volt 0.01446uF
cap.  There are zillions of combinations but this sounds as good as any.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

	Terry