Re: BIG DUMMY Accident

In a message dated 10/3/00 8:41:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< You are not making the same mistake I do on my
 first years of coiling; connected the base of your secondary to the inner
 turn of your primary  because you never could write this post ! >>

Hi Luc,

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but actually I DO connect my secondary
and primary inner turns to common RF ground. I know many members more
knowledgable than myself swear that this is more deadly because it places
the sec circuit in the lethal primary circuit. However, and this is just my
opin-
ion for what it's worth, it is only on the GROUNDED side of the primary
circuit.
I personally believe that taking a hit from a streamer is equally dangerous
ir-
regardless of whether the primary is double hot with a seperate ground or sin-
gle hot with the ground acting as the return. It is simpler to run a single
hot
since there is the issue of adequate insulation of the transmission line and a
single hot wire cuts in half the amount of heavily insulated wire required
for the
x-mission line to the primary tank circuit. It also eliminates a possible
"floating
ground" situation, which is also quite dangerous with pole pig level voltage.

Bottom line though, taking a streamer hit is not safe by any means under any
circumstances, and anyone who intentionally pulls this stunt is inviting
disaster!
Let's all keep it safe (especially myself) so we all can keep happily coiling
on
for many years to come!

Coiling in Memphis,
David Rieben