Re: anybody else fried a variac

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: jmonty-at-flash-dot-net
>
> Burned up my first variac last night and was wondering if they can
> be rebuilt.

Snipperzzz...

Hi Jeff...

variacs can be rewound but it is alot of trouble...    if you are very
patient and very good with a soldering iron it can be repaired...  but you
wont be able to run it at the previous wattage it was once designed for (
the solder joint heats up quicker than the wire )

if you dont plan to repair or rewind it ...  it can be used as a core for a
paralleling choke for other variacs or even for a really large choke core
....    hang on to it in any case

Scot D