Re: More tube coil stuff (Carl Willis)...

In a message dated 8/31/00 5:10:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I should mention the peculiarities of my MOT.  I am only using about 4/5
the
>  windings in the primary in order to increase the step-up ratio.  Secondly,
>  popped out the shunts (whatever power limiting those little things did
> anyway,
>  I don't really know.) In retrospect that was probably uncalled for, but
that'
>  what I did.  These modifications have always been there and are not what is
>  making it so gosh darn hot right now.

Carl,

With the shunts in place I got 21" sparks, but when I removed the
shunts, I got 24" sparks from a MOT using level shifting and two
833A's.  Interestingly the current stayed about the same I think.
This may be because the MOT distorts the waveform and makes
it "pointy" and actually more efficient in a sense.  I'm using a wattmeter
that should not be fooled by waveform distortions.  In previous work
I got something like 23" sparks from a single 833A and an MOT with
shunts in place, but it was a physically larger coil.

John Freau