Re: NST filter failure?

Well, I've FINALLY sat down to analyze the problem a bit.  I had to get my new
apartment organized, and my housemate's girlfriend's belongings out of "the
shop"
first!  :-)  The story, for those who can't remember more than yesterday (like
myself, these days), is at te bottom.

>         If the MOVs burned up (they short thank goodness!) they were clipping
> about 27kV spikes.  For them to get that hot, something must have been
> seriously going overvoltage.  They did their job in saving the NST (the
> hard way).  YEAH!!

The MOVs are blown.  I hooked a 12kV NST up to each string ov MOVs, and set the
variac at about 80V (should produce ~11kV max).  One string got slightly
warm after a
few seconds, and the other string got even warmer.  The input current on
the NST was
high for the second string, indecating a short.  The current was pretty low
for the
first string.  The second string was also the one that appeared to have
gotten the
hottest during "The Demo From Hell," as the glossy coating is now matte.  I
will be
replacing both strings of MOVs soon.  At least it's $20 for new MOVs, and
not $20
each for four new NSTs (so there is a good side of the story).

I haven't tested either the safety or the SRSG yet.  I'll hopefully to that
tonight
after my classes and meetings and such.  I suspect that the safety is set
closer to
about 16kV per leg, although I haven't intentionally adjusted it since I
first set
the gap (to about .170 inches per leg, if I remember correctly).  I may have
inadvertantly increased the gap when I reattached teh wires to it....

More to follow later.

Mark