Re: Pole Pig Simulation

In a message dated 9/7/00 12:42:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> but it seems to me that there is not much of a power factor
>  problem at all as I'm only drawing around 11 KVA from the pig -at- max
>  power, according to my panel meters.

David,

Your coil is performing well, but one can only guess what the
true wattage is.  Maybe it is around 9 kW or so.  But it would
certainly be nice to be able to predict the power factor, and to
know which ballast/cap combos and break rates give the best
PF.  At some point when a person draws more and more power for
their coil, a point will be reached at which they begin to blow
their circuit breaker, so then the power factor, as well as the overall
efficiency of the coil will become very important.  Then there's the
general fun of solving these types of problems/questions, from
a theoretical and practical standpoint.  You are correct that most
coilers ignore PF issues.

John Freau