RE: Splicing

Hi Ralph:
First, be sure there is a "dot" between the ted and the rosenberg. People
over 40 <grin> need close up specs to see it I guess.
While there was some carbonizing (about 1/2 inch diameter)on the surface of
the Plexi, I can get rid of most of it and its in a place where it generally
won't be seen (below the primary plane and above the cabinet platform) which
is precisely why I didn't see it either when it was happening and the lights
are always dim in the room area. The moral is check and double check and
again...and use a flashlight if need be.

I will take extra caremaking the splice. Thanks for the confirmation.
And as for the variac...no, I did not use it for two reasons:
1. I felt that the coil was operating correctly at 120V...and it was OK
until the insulation melted through. In this case, it was a ticking time
bomb.
2. when I want to scare the onlookers, I can't say "Wait...the small sparks
get bigger" as I turn the variac dial up to 120. I have to hit them with MAX
output in order to casue excessive screaming and a strong desire to
run-away.

Technically I can see your suggestion for variac use and I will place it in
the circuit until I am sure that all is calm, and all is bright (in the
right places.)

Be sure to check my first light photo at
http://www.flash-dot-net/~ford29/tesla/firstlight.jpg

Safety First

Ted (dot) Rosenberg -at- radioshack-dot-com