Re: T-24 Hours Until New (Really Bright 10KVA) Light...

Hi John M.,

> > We have a
> > great arc welder to work with for ballasting, but I also went to the local
> > junkyard and ripped an element from a dryer.  With my DMM, it measures
> > about 8 ohms.  Does that sound right?  I hope so, because I like the idea
> > of my coil running at a cool 30 amps. :-)  Also, I imagine that that
> > element is bound to get VERY hot.  What do ya'll suggest to keep it cool?

I suggest keeping it cool by not using it. Do this, run with and without it. I
think you'll find just how much power will be lost with the element. The
reactive
ballasting will give you the greatest spark length by itself. I do use some
resistance in my pig system (2.5 ohms) only because the reactive ballast is
a bit
small. Even this amount of resistance decreases from the performance of the
coil.
If I wanted to find the greatest arc length on my coil, I would definately
bypass
this resistor (which is huge 4" x 24").

Take care,
Bart