Re: Ionization Potentials (Inert Gas SG)

ionization potentials are only loosely related to breakdown voltages.  For
instance, He has a very high ionization potential, but it's breakdown
strength isn't particularly high.  And, of course, ionization potential
doesn't really apply to molecular compounds.

It turns out that the physics of breakdown isn't all that well understood.
There are several theories that seem to explain most of the observed
phenomena, but there are gaps in them as well. Sure, it's related to the
field strength, but exactly how does the field cause the breakdown to
start? How does the breakdown develop (the classic Townsend explanation is
a cascade of ionizations).

In any case, breakdown voltages are usually determined empirically in a
calibrated spark gap. And, of course, there is a lot more to spark gap
performance than the breakdown voltage, such as quenching, the effect of
hot gas and/or electrodes, etc.