Re: Inert gas SG

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Inert gas SG
> Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 8:03 PM
>
> Original poster: "David W" <Dav_W926-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> whoa, how do you know that all the air is out, cause you dont want oxygen
in
> there when you fire the gap right?  I like this method if it is safe.
>
> Dave

It's a well known technique, described by Fruengel, among others.  alcohol
vapor is MUCH denser than air, so it will displace the air, assuming the
opening is at the top. You could also do something like purge the container
with CO2 (from a small piece of dry ice that sublimates) after adding the
alcohol.