Re: Primary spacing, again

Hi Jon.  My experience is that when You get the windings too close it
becomes difficult to attach a tuning device to the tube without shorting
across to the adjacent tubing.  I like to space mine with 1/4" dowel rods
as a minimum to make the coil easy to tune.  But I think you can get the
windings a bit closer together if you wish, and come up with a
alternative way to affix your tuning connection upon the tube  I use a
big alligator clip on my 3/8" tube primary for tuning and it works good.
But sometimes when it is set not quite straight on the tube, I will get
arcing across the tubes even though they are not touching.  The thickness
of a wooden tongue depressor  about (1/16") seems to be approaching the
air gap limit of electrical breakdown between the windings.  But I found
that this can be a bit troublesome having the coil wound this close,
especially under humid conditions.    Al.