Re: Re: T-24 Hours Until New (Really Bright 10KVA) Light...

	I ran the pole pig just last night, not on my Tesla Coil, but just to
light it up in a Jacob's ladder.  I was using only the 8-ohm element,
because I could not get ahold of my friend who had the arc welder. :) The
element got burning hot only after a second, and I wonder how long it would
last before meltdown.  I didn't test it, but I suspect that there was quite
a voltage drop because the spark wasn't incredibly long, but it was many
times brighter and hotter than anything I had ever seen before. (500
milliamps)  Hopefully tonight I'll have the welder.  And oh yeah, I am
completely suffering with my capacitor.  It is poorly constructed, ugly,
and underrated.  It's made from MMC caps, but if anyone out has a ~.02µf -at-
20Kv or thereabout capacitor to sell, please let me know! :)  And thanks
for all the information/help.

	Ryan Ries

----------
> From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE: Re: T-24 Hours Until New (Really Bright 10KVA) Light...
> Date: Friday, September 15, 2000 3:15 PM
>
> Original poster: "David Dean" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Actually it is not as simple as 240V/ 8 ohms = 30 amps. If you were only
> running resistive ballast, that would be true, insofar as if the output
of
> the pig were to be shorted, that is Vout = 0, taking the pig as an ideal
> transformer (which for all intents and purposes it is, or can be modeled
as,
> anyway) then Vin = 0 as well, so all the voltage drop would be across the
> resistor, and the maximum current would then be 30A at an angle of zero
> degrees. That is not to say that the 8 ohm resistance will absolutely
limit
> the current to 30 amps as a ballast for a TC power supply though.
Although
> [...]
> properly set, that will take care of the problem. But I digress...
>
> As I understand it, you are planning to power your existing coil, the
> veretus coil, right? And planning to use a blown static gap as well? I
don't
> recall what kind of capacitor you are using...The matched size stated on
> your website shows to be 26nf and the "needed to tune" size shows to be
> 19nf, so I assume something in that range. And you don't have a variac
large
> enough to handle 30A, do you? Putting all these assumptions together, I
> would suggest using the 8 ohm dryer element with a fan to cool it, and
leave
> the welder out to start with. I started with a furnace for a ballast, I
> pulled all the wires and could adjust the resistance from 50 ohms to
3.125
> by setting jumpers for series or parallel. (4 12.5 ohm elements) I found
the
> best results with 12.5 ohms using a 14.4 KV pig running off of 240VAC, an
> air blown static gap, and a 16nf rolled poly/aluminum flashing in oil
cap. I
> got 34" arcs to a grounded target with that setup. When I added the
welder,
> performance dropped considerably, I had to go down to 1.5 ohms, and the
> resister got hot. Amp draw was in the neighborhood of 22 amps, though
that
> was taken with an analog clamp on type ammeter, the needle jumps around a
> lot, so that is probably close to average. I found I could not run at all
> with the welder by itself, It wanted to thump and growl and the sparkgap
> fired erratically.
>
> After migrating to a SRSG, I found the 1.5 ohm resister was just barely
> getting warm, the amp draw dropped to 4.5 to 5 Amps, the needle on the
> ammeter was pretty steady, and spark length increased to 39". This of
course
> was using the welder, and I had changed to a MMC, still 16nf. I now don't
> use any resistance, just the welder, and sometimes some other inductors
in
> series to increase the inductance trying to get LTR operation. (I blew
out
> my 10nf lower voltage rating EMMC which was in parallel with the 16nf MMC
> when I got close to resonance in that configuration, but now I've got
some
> radar pulse caps, so all is well.)
>
> After experiencing the smooth, predictable, low power consuming, and
orders
> of magnitude quieter operation of a SRSG, I have given up on building an
> ASRSG, as I would not have anything else. Also, with the "variac to
adjust
> firing angle" trick now up my sleeve, operation of a SRSG is a cinch.
> Bottom line, I'm trying to sell you on a SRSG as your next project.
Should
> make that veretus coil go to 15' off of that dryer outlet, with a little
TLC