Re: Saltwater Caps

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>I have made numerous beer bottle saltwater caps in the
>past, but they always ended in broken bottles and an
>oily, salty mess. I always bought "virgin"
>(unrecycled, un-reused) bottles, although I only used
>brown bottles. Using only 15/30, I consistantly
>punctured every type of bottle I tried. I tried Pete's
>Wicked Ale, Sam Adams Ale, and Budweiser 12 oz. and 40
>oz. bottles. I carefully washed the bottles and used
>adhesive spray to attach the aluminum foil. I
>carefully applied the foil, to avoid wrinkles. I used
>the cheapest motor oil available, the theory being
>cheaper = less additives. I used a variac for tuning,
>and only 15/30 with between 6 and 12 caps, but always
>ended up blowing a hole in a cap. (This coil now gives
>me great results using my MMC and a pig.)
>
>Interestingly enough, it was a Seacor caps MMC (at 15
>kV) that has proven successful with my coil. Greg
>Hunter, on the other hand, (at 12 kV) had problems
>blowing his Seacor MMC, and ended up returning to beer
>bottle caps. However, he used clear glass bottles.
>
>My question is this:
>Has anyone ever determined whether clear glass caps
>are better than brown glass caps? My limited knowledge
>of glass thinks that clear glass has less impurities
>than colored glass. Thoughts?
>
>thanks
>Adam
>
>=====
>Adam Minchey
>yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com
>www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/index.htm

The Group has used over 100 bottles in SW caps with only 1 bottle failure in
about 3-5 years of playing with them.

1. We ALWAYS use Corona Longneck bottles. Clear glass, they seem to work
well.

2. We ALWAYS run the SWcaps in the Submerged fashion. I personally think
that one of the main reasons bottles in SW caps break is Thermal shock to
the glass. The water isn't just the conductor, it's a cooling jacket. If you
run your caps "Dry" (no outer water jacket, only AL foil) there is no
cooling and they crack more often.

I have always built Jacketed caps because
1. it's a lot less work than wrapping bottles with foil.
2. Better cooling
3. COMPLETE containment no matter how many bottles break.
4. MUCH better electrically. The water will fill up ALL the imperfections in
the surface of the bottle (Beer bottles are cast so the surface is rather
rough), foil won't do this.
5. With Jacketed caps the results are repeatable and predictable from cap to
cap. As long as the water height is the same (this is easy to do with corona
bottles) you will always have the same capacitance.
6. What better name for your bottles than Corona :)

Have a beer, buy a shirt.

Christopher "La Cervesa Mas Fina!" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org