RE: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi John,

On 1 Apr 01, at 21:33, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

> Malcolm -
>
> Good questions. What are these two mysterious R's of the Tesla coil
> secondary circuit? What are their relationship to one another? The
> resonant R appears to be about 10 times greater than the Q factor R.
> The interesting part is that we have the equations to calculate these
> R's and the simple schematic circuits  but sofar coilers have done
> little with them. These R's mean losses and reducing them would
> increase TC performance.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you defined exactly the various
R's of which you speak.
     For my part, it is simple: ESR is the equivalent series
resistance of the circuit (unloaded). This will have one of two
values depending on whether you model the coil as lumped or
distributed (with correct parameter distributions of course).
Rshunt is simply ESR*(1+Q^2)  (simple series -> parallel transform).

> You have made a large number of tests in the past with TC secondary
> coils with and without toploads  and as I recall the resonant
> frequencies at low voltage, low current agreed closely with the
> Wheeler/Medhurst/Freq equations. I believe these were made with
> generator/scope/freq meter connected to the base of the secondary
> coil. Did you find a difference in resonant frequency when you tested
> these coils at high voltage, high current operation using a scope and
> antenna probe?

No major difference.

Regards,
malcolm