Re: Just wound 1st 2ndary, need help sizing primary, other Q's...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/2/01 10:53:54 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
>
> I just finished winding the secondary for what will be my first coil,
> and I must say, it is a thing of Beauty.  It's on the winding gizmo now,
> with it's third coat of polyurethane drying.

Hi Bill,

Congratulations! It's good to hear that you have successfully
constructed a "good looking" secondary coil.

<I have a couple of power supplies to work with: A 15/30 NST, a 15/60 NST
<and this transformer from an X-ray power supply, which I got off eBay:

<http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1223896601

<the exact specs of which I'm uncertain, but will be using a variac to
<control it.

I'm afraid the x-ray transformer isn't very suitable for a Tesla power
supply transformer although it does make for one heckuva HV source
( ~ 100 kVAC - with significant current). It's output voltage is just too
high for a practical Tesla power supply and if you gate it back to the
typical 10 to 20 kV Tesla range with a variac, then the output current
will probably be too small to properly charge the primary capacitor
for the sized coil that you're building.

Also, unlike NSTs or OBITs, that x-ray transformer ain't current limited.
That means that you would have to employ some means of external
ballasting to be able to use it in a Tesla configuration or it would short
out and probably blow a fuse/ trip out a breaker. And this x-ray transfor-
mer is VERY LETHAL if you make a careless mistake.

<I know it may seem like I'm starting out big for a first coil, but I'm
<hoping to build something that will leave me satisfied enough that I
<won't want to build another one soon - it's a lot of work.

I'd say NSTs are the best bet for a beginner coil. Most coilers go thru
the learning curve before attempting a really large coil. All Tesla coils
are potentially dangerous (no pun intended), but the really large ones
are positively lethal for a careless mistake. An NST or OBIT transform-
er can cause a very painful and nasty electric shock, but a PT, plate
transformer, pole pig, x-ray transformer, ect. can KILL you in a very
short order!

Hope this Helps,
David Rieben