Re: Q's ? Q's ? Q's ?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Sietze,
            I'm sure others will answer your queries but FWIW, here
is my perspective:

On 5 Apr 01, at 0:10, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Sietze by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <s.van.de.burgt-at-hccnet.nl>
>
> Hi there fellow coilers,
>
> I have some questions nobody could answer me, so I figured mayebe you
> people can answer them.
>
> 1. Is it possible to operate a coil in outher space, would it spark
> just as it does in an atmosfere or just sit there and built a high
> potential?

If the voltage is high enough it will become a vacuum emitter I
expect. In fact, it might well gain a net charge through emission
rectification (can lose electrons but not much else).

> 2. Is it possible to operate a coil on an higher frequency than it was
> designed for. I mean Mhz instead of Khz or maybe even Giga!hertz?
> Would it just burn up more quickly or do nothing because of
> hysterislus (how do I translate that right?). Is is posible to make a
> coil for that specific purpose?

Short answer - no. It won't behave as you'd expect at any frequency
other than its natural 1/4 wave frequency. At higher harmonics, it
will develop voltage antinodes along its length. It would present
complex impedances whose identities would vary according to frequency
to the drive source.

> 3 Is anyone familliar with the way Tesla looked at the universe? (
> meaning he seemed to have had a theory how things worked( just like
> that Albert E. guy)) But no one does seem to know how it fits in to
> recent kosmology. Some people just say it is very wrong and can't be
> working with today's law's of physics, but maybe it can?

He was really an electrical engineer rather than a physicist in my
understanding.

Regards,
malcolm