RE: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Malcolm -

It appears the resonant frequency equation is beginning to reveal some of
it's secrets. Most coilers take this equation for granted not realizing that
it has some interesting properties for the Tesla coil. One of those
properties is that if the R is large enough you will end up with a square
root of a negative number. As I say in the TCC Guide that shows this
equation when the R is large enough there will be no resonant frequency.
This would probably never occur with TC operation, however, some R value is
always present in the TC system when operating. The R is normally small
enough and can be ignored with signal generator low power tests. But how
about the R when the TC is operational? Are coilers blundering in this
matter.

With the operational secondary circuit the R includes all losses plus the
load. The load during operation includes streamers, corona, radiation, etc.
It is obvious that the load can present a large variety of conditions during
operation. Researching these conditions could help obtain better output from
the TC system. One exception is when sparks to ground occur which is a
direct shorting of the secondary circuit to ground. This means that tests
would be made only with (small streamers?) and not strikes to ground.

For the above to have any significance the following question must be
answered. Does the resonant frequency reduce when the TC is operational
compared to the low power signal generator measurements?  If it does how
does it affect the R of the resonant frquency equation? These are difficult
tests to make with resonable precision (+/- 1%?) and maybe standard test
methods should be set up so the test results are more coordinated. In the
past the few tests of this type that have been made have given conflicting
results.

John Couture