Re: Need Ozone

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Ed, All!

> I'm sure you get an odor.  How do you know it's ozone and not
fixated
>nitrogen (nitrogen oxides)?  The odor around my coils is quite
different
>from that around a germicidal lamp, which most surely IS ozone.

Quite possibly you have a point as I too use the sniff test, however,
my sniff has been educated (more like exterminated) over 20 years in
five university chemistry departments.  This has included those
"unofficial" experiments where vast quantities of nitrogen oxides were
liberated during the nitration of cotton wool (the resulting gun
cotton was worth it however;-) and various electrical "incidents" in
which ozone resulted, thus I *claim* to know the difference through
experience, rather than correct analytical technique - more seriously,
the effect of ozone on my lungs is quite distinct from NOx.  I do
however assert the support of my then Professor, a Fellow of the Royal
Society, who once disputed the results of a Fourier transform nuclear
magnetic resonance spectrum on the basis of his sense of smell.  Make
of this what you will ;-)

Of the electrical incidents, the best (sadly not one of mine) was when
someone dropped a full 500ml glass bottle containing some 15lbs of
mercury on a bench near a 240V power socket.  The results can best be
left to the imagination . . .

Dunckx