Tiny TCs

Original poster: "Steve & Jackie Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>

List,

For experimenting with triggered spark gaps and other such research, at
least initially, one doesn't need large, loud arcs from large heavy TCs to
take the necessary measurements and draw conclusions.  And for easily
transported and quickly set up demos, tiny TCs should have application.

What is the list's experience with tiny TCs?  I am talking about secondaries
wound with 30 gauge or smaller wire and less than two inches in diameter.
(Smaller than Brian Basura's good performing mini-twin.)

For example, consider ordinary 1" PVC (1.3 inch OD) wound a length of 6.5
inch with #36 for about 1,200 turns.  Primary 15 turns of #10 wire (.11 inch
diameter) spaced the same with 3.3 inch inside radius.  Toroid about 2" by
6".  Resonates about 1 mHz.  I am assuming enough primary power to operate
just under the secondary flashover or racing spark condition.  (And I am
assuming being able to successfully wind the secondary with such small
wire!)

If TCs scale down OK and still maintain efficiency, seems like one could
still get a 10 inch discharge from it, or perhaps 18 inches from bipolar
twins.

What has been your experience with miniature TCs?

Thanks,
--Steve